Preliminary remarks on the Berlin program
The program period in Berlin runs until December 31, 2022.
Unless otherwise noted, all events are free of charge.
Participation in the Opening event requires prior registration.
Two-day event: 30.9.2022 + 1.10.2022
The kick-off event of the Triennial of Modernism 2022 in Berlin is dedicated to the diversity of building culture and the history of ideas of Modernism. Individual presentations by participating partners* will showcase the diverse developments and approaches in research, preservation, and outreach. The wide-ranging program includes lectures and panel discussions by and with representatives from Weimar, Dessau, Berlin and other world heritage sites of the Modernism in Germany and newly acquired network cities in Europe.
- Fri, 30.9.2022, 12:00 - 18:00:
Diversity Modernism | Modernism Diversity
Location: Embassy of the Czech Republic, Wilhelmstraße 44, 10117 Berlin;
Duration: 6 h, free of charge; registration required
- Sat, 1.10.2022, 13:00 - 19:30:
Pecha Kucha of Modernism + Topic Focus: Roots of Modernism in Ukraine
Location: TU Berlin, Architecture Building, Ernst-Reuter-Platz, Forum, Room A014;
Duration: 6.5 h; free of charge
Organization: zukunftsgeraeusche GbR, buschfeld.com - in cooperation with Landesdenkmalamt Berlin,
Embassy of the Czech Republic in Berlin, Czech Center Berlin - presented with Docomomo International and ICOMOS
Spaceship Enterprise - 50 Years of the Czech Embassy in Berlin
Partner/Location: Czech Center Berlin / Gallery, Wilhelmstr. 44, entrance Mohrenstraße, 10117 Berlin
The Czech Embassy building, built by Věra Machoninová and Vladimír Machonin in the heart of what was then still a divided Berlin, has become an architectural icon. Designed in 1972, it was nicknamed the "Starship Enterprise" after its completion in 1978. The exterior provides a stark contrast to the interior design.
- Special opening Sat, 10/1 to Mon 10/3/2022, 2:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Fri, 30.9.2022, 19:00: Talk on women architects of late modernism:
Ursulina Schüler Witte and Věra Machoninová
- Sun, 2.10.2022, 16:00: Blinds Spots of Late Modernism - Design-Art Enviroments.
- Sun, 2.10.2022, 18:00: Artist Talk on architectural photography with Schnepp Renou
Lucia Moholy - The image of the Modernism
Location/Partner*in: Bröhan-Museum, Schloßstr. 1a, 14059 Berlin; Duration: 1.10.2022 - 22.1.2023, Tue - Sun 10:00 - 18:00
With her photographs of the Bauhaus buildings, the photographer and publicist Lucia Moholy left a lasting mark on the image of the art school and made a significant contribution to bringing the ideas and content of the university to the public.
- Fri, 30.9.2022, 19:00: Opening of the exhibition;
Duration: approx. 3 h; Opening free of charge; Bröhan-Museum, Schloßstr. 1a, 14059 Berlin
- Sat, Oct 1, 2022, 3:00 p.m. + Sun Oct 2, both 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
Guided tour of the exhibition max. 20 people; duration: 1 h
- Mon, 10/3/2022, 3:00pm - 6:00pm: Inclusive tour for people with special needs.
Modernism in Ukraine -
Modern Roots and Heritage of Kharkiv and Lviv
Total running time: Sat, Oct 1 - Dec 16, 2022, 12:00 - 20:00: Location: Ernst-Reuter-Platz - there
Parts 1/2/4/5: BHROX bauhaus reuse, middle island + Part 3: TU Berlin, Architecture Building, Forum, Room A
The second day of the Opening event, "Modernism in Ukraine", will focus on the roots and heritage of Modernism in Ukraine. The focus is on a trans-European consideration of the historical references and protagonists as well as the question of the current state in the face of the war of aggression on Ukraine and the opportunities and challenges for future European cooperation. The five-part exhibition series shows buildings and contexts in Kharkiv and Lviv from the interwar period to postmodernism.
- Sat, 1.10.2022 - 21.10.2022, 19:45: Vernissage
Part #1 - Lviv Modernism: Let buildings speak. Visual story of Lviv modern housing architecture
- Part #2: 27.10. - 9.11.2022:
City, Architecture, Modernism - Public buildings of the interwar period in Lviv
- Part #3: 13.11. - 24.11.2022:
The Modernism in Lviv and the contribution of Jewish architects*. Ferdynand Kassler - inventor of the Galician Modernism
- Part #4: 13.11. - 24.11.2022:
Svoboda (Freedom) Square Ensemble in Kharkiv
- Part #5: 11/28 - 12/16/2022:
Ukrainian Socialist Postmodernism
- Sat, 17.12. 15:30-18:30
Finissage part #5 + release event for Docomomo Journal No. 76
"Multiple Modernities in Ukraine": magazine presentation, workshop talk and discussion
Editor*in Magazine: DOCOMOMO international,
Uta Pottgiesser (President DOCOMOMO international)
Location: BHROX bauhaus reuse, Ernst-Reuter-Platz (middle island)
More info: Modernism in Ukraine
as well as: Docomomo Journal
Life in a Monument - Double Exhibition on Buildings of the IBA57 and along Karl-Marx-Allee
Locations/Times: Haus des Lehrers: Oct. 4, 2022 - Nov. 26, Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
and Hansa Library: Oct. 4 - Nov. 26, 2022; Mon - Sun (different times); Partners*: THE LINK GbR, Bettina Cohnen.
The beautiful and good living: that was central for the architects of the Hansaviertel to the Interbau 1957 and the Karl-Marx-Allee. The double exhibition by artist Bettina Cohnen is based on the question "How does it live today in the monuments of post-war modernism?" The show is a combination of photo essay and photo art, of architectural mediation and monument history. We show the portraits from the Hansa Quarter in the Haus des Lehrers at Alexanderplatz, and the people photographed at Karl-Marx-Allee are again presented in the Hansa Library.
- Sat, 1.10.2022, 18:00 - 20:00: Vernissage / Opening of the first part of the double exhibition; free of charge;
Location: Haus des Lehrers, Alexanderstraße 9, 10178 Berlin
- Sun, Oct. 2, 2022, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.: Vernissage / Opening of the second part of the double exhibition; free of charge;
Location: Hansa Library, Altonaer Straße 15, 10557 Berlin
Allies in Berlin - the architectural heritage
Location: Military History Museum Gatow, Am Flugplatz Gatow 33, 14089 Berlin
Duration: 2.6. - 31.1.2023, Tue - Sun 10:00 - 18:00; Partner*in: Mila Hacke - Architecture Photography; free of charge.
The photo exhibition at the former Gatow Airport in Spandau, enriched with additional media, deals with the extensive architectural heritage of the three Western Allies.
- Sun, 2.10. 11:00-13:30: Workshop architectural photography
- Sun, 2.10. 16:00-17:30: Curator's tour
- Fri, 4.11. 16:00-17:30: Curator's tour
L' Ésprit Nouveau 1922
Location: gallery treppe b in the Corbusierhaus Berlin, Flatowallee 16, room 1061;
free of charge; Duration: running time: 4.10. - 11.12.2022, opening hours: Sun 15:00-18:00 +
Thu 18:00-20:00 + by appointment at www.treppe-b.de; The exhibition in the gallery spaces in the Corbusierhaus deals with the key texts of the magazine "L' Ésprit Nouveau" in 1922, which was edited by Le Corbusier, among others.
- Mon, 3.10.2022, 18:00: Vernissage
World heritage 6 + 1 ? - Arrondierung Waldsiedlung Zehlendorf
Exhibition at U-Bhf. U3 "Onkel-Toms-Hütte"; Duration: Mon 3.10. - 24.11.2022 (24 h)
Partners*innen: Papageiensiedlung e.V. (guided tours), Ben Buschfeld (exhibition), BFGG e.V.
The city of Berlin proposes to add the Waldsiedlung Zehlendorf as a seventh site to the UNESCO World Heritage "Estates of Berlin Modernism". An exhibition in the store passage of the subway station as well as guided tours anticipate this.
- Mon, 3.10.2022, 10:00 am: Opening of the exhibition at U-Bhf.
- afterwards approx. 10:30 a.m.: guided tour of the settlement with the association;
duration: 2 h; free of charge; place/start: U-Bhf. Uncle Tom's Hut
Urban Networks of Modernism and the Activities of Jewish Architects in Gdynia/Poland
Location: BHROX bauhaus reuse, Mittelinsel Ernst-Reuter-Platz, 10587 Berlin; Registration: email@example.com; Duration: 12.11. - 24.11.2022, Mon-Sun 12:00 - 20:00; Partner*in: Gesellschaft zur Erforschung des Lebens und Wirkens deutschsprachiger jüdischer Architekten
in cooperation with Pilecki-Institut Berlin and BHROX bauhaus reuse.
The Polish city of Gdynia is considered a model city of the Classical period Modernism, whose development was significantly influenced by the constant expansion of the port.
- Fri, 11.11.2022, 18:00- 20:00: Opening of the exhibition
- Thu, 17.11.2022; 19:00-21:00: Panel discussion
Light, air, viruses. Architectural modernism competing to share the sky over Berlin
Duration: 2.12. - 21.12.2022, Registration at: Triennial@documentary-architecture.org
Partner*in: Centre for Documentary Architecture
Location: Project Space Investigative Commons, Zossener Str. 55-58 (Aufgang D), 10961 Berlin
The exhibition deals with the juxtaposition of the architectural competition for the sky over the divided Berlin, and the different strategies in East and West for air hygiene and crisis management of epidemics and pandemics. Between 1945-1989, large-scale choreographic and urban planning for major events was developed in both parts of Berlin, which found new spatial and institutional orientations, especially during the two major influenza waves of 1957/58 and 1968-1970.
- Fri, 02.12.2022, 17:00 (opening)
- Sat, Dec 03, 11:00-12:30
- Sun, 04 Dec, 14:00-15:30
- Wed, 07 Dec, 18:30-20:00
- Thu, 08 Dec, 18:30-20:00
- Sat, 10 Dec, 14:00-15:30
- Sun, 11 Dec, 14:00-15:30
- Tue, 12/13, 18:30-20:00
- Wed, 12/14, 18:30-20:00
- Sat, 12/17, 11:00-12:30
- Sun, Dec 18, 11:00-12:30
- Tue, 12/20, 18:30-20:00
All dates with guided tour of the exhibition. Free of charge.
For more information, visit: www.documentary-architecture.org
Visit only with registration at: Triennial@documentary-architecture.org
- Fri, 2.12.2022, 17:00: Vernissage
Tours and visits
Partners: Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung, temporary bauhaus-archiv - in cooperation with Ticket B; registration required.
One Tour, Three Directors: From the Bauhaus Archive to Villa Lemke to the ADGB Federal School in Bernau
The tour is a tour of the three directors: By charter bus it leads from the starting point at the Bauhaus Archive by Walter Gropius via the Villa Lemke by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe to the former Federal School of the General German Trade Union Federation (ADGB) in Bernau, designed by Bauhaus director Hannes Meyer and Bauhaus teacher Hans Wittwer with the participation of numerous Bauhäusler*innen. The tour ends at the BHROX bauhaus-reuse pavilion on Ernst-Reuter-Platz.
- Sun, Oct. 2, 2022, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.: One tour, three directors - bus excursion;
Duration: 6 h; Start: Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung, the bauhaus view, Klingelhöferstr. 14, 10785 Berlin;
Cost: 49 €; Registration required: ticket-b.de/fuehrung/Triennial/
More bauhaus_tours with costs
- EN: Sun, 9.10., 2:00-4:30 p.m.: : Guided tour Bauhaus-Archiv and Kulturforum
Costs: 24 €; Start: the bauhaus view, Klingelhöferstr. 14, 10785 Berlin
- Sun, Oct 16, 2022, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.: radically modern - bike tour to buildings of post-war modernism;
Cost: €29; Start: the temporary bauhaus-archiv, Knesebeckstr. 1, 10623 Berlin.
- Sun, Oct. 23 + Sat, Nov. 19, 2022, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: walking tour Bauhaus Archive and Cultural Forum;
Cost: €24; Start: the bauhaus view, Klingelhöferstr. 14, 10785 Berlin
- EN: Sat, 29.10. + Sat, 12.11. + Sun, 4.12., 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.:
Guided tour Bauhaus-Archiv and Kulturforum
Costs: 24 €; Start: the bauhaus view, Klingelhöferstr. 14, 10785 Berlin
- Sun, Nov 6, 2022, 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.: bauhaus_tour: walking tour
World Heritage Sites Schillerpark and White City;
Cost: €24; Start: Information Pillar Bristolstraße 13, 13349 Berlin
Free tours from culturepartner berlin
Partner*in: cpb culturepartner berlin GmbH; Duration: 2-2.5 h each; Registration is required for all tours
. Registration and details: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEW: Sun, 2.10.2022, 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Guided tour around the "Ernst Reuter Platz".
- Sun, 2.10.2022, 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Guided tour of "Modernism in Zehlendorf"; Start: U-Bhf Uncle Tom's Hut
- EN: Sun, 2.10.2022, 2:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.: Guided Tour at "Karl-Marx-Allee"; Start: Karl-Marx-Allee 131
- Mon, 10/3/2022, 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.: City tour Friedrichstraße; Start: Mehringplatz 28, 10963 Berlin
- EN: Mon, 3.10.2022, 11:00 a.m.- 1:30 p.m.: Guided Tour "The Hansaviertel - Star architects build the future"; Start: in front of the GRIPS theater
- EN: Mon, 3.10.2022, 2:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.: Guided Tour World Heritage "Falkenberg Garden City"; Start: Rewe Supermarket, Bruno-Taut-Str. 1, 12524 Berlin
Tours from other suppliers
- Sat 1.10. / Sun 2.10./ Mon 3.10.2022, 10:00 + 12:00 each: "Living in the World Heritage Site" - guided tours through the Hufeisensiedlung; Partner*in: Freunde und Förderer der Hufeisensiedlung Berlin-Britz e.V.; Start: Infostation, Fritz-Reuter-Allee 44, 12359 Berlin; free of charge; can be combined with visit to exhibition
- Mon, 3.10.2022, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.: Exhibition opening and settlement tours "World Heritage 6 +1 ? - Planned addition of the Waldsiedlung Zehlendorf to the World Heritage; Partners*innen: Papageiensiedlung e.V. (guided tours DE), Ben Buschfeld (exhibition DE+EN); Start: U-Bhf Onkel Toms Hütte, Onkel-Tom-Strasse 99, 14169 Berlin; Duration: approx. 2.5 h; free of charge; 3 guided tours with max. 20 persons each.
- CANCELLED: Sat, 10/1/2022, 11:00 am + 3:00 pm: "Kolbe's Neighborhood" - Audio Walk by bike.
10 years rentable museum "Tautes Heim
- Mon, Oct. 3, 2022, 4:00 p.m.: Tour of the Hufeisensiedlung plus house tour with curator's guided tour of details and originals of the museum-like, multi-award-winning vacation home in honor of architect Bruno Taut; start: U-Bhf. U7, Parchimer Allee
Monument preservation on site
Guided tour and discussion event on the House of World Cultures (former Congress Hall); partners: Berlin Chamber of Architects, Berlin Chamber of Buildings, Berlin State Monuments Office
- Tue, 18.10.2022, 16:00 - 19:00: Duration: 3 h; Participation fee: 15 €; max. 25 persons; Registration: www.ak-berlin.de/HKW
Young, but monument
Discussion on large housing estates of the 1970s; Location: An der Urania 17, 10787 Berlin;
Partners: Berlin Chamber of Architects, Berlin State Monuments Office; free of charge
- Wed, 11/2/2022, 7:30pm-9:30pm, Registration: www.ak-berlin.de/jung-aber-denkmal
Workshops, installations and media
bauhaus_workshop / bauhaus yoga
Partners: Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung, bauhaus view, bauhaus_werkstatt, temporary bauhaus-archiv; registration required: www.bauhaus.de
- Sat, Oct 1, 2022, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.:
Open-Air-Workshop "Hybrid Habitats"; Start: bauhaus view, Klingelhöferstr. 14, 10785 Berlin; free of charge; smartphone required.
- Thurs, Nov. 3 + Thurs, Dec. 1, 2022, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.:
bauhaus yoga; location: the temporary bauhaus-archiv, Knesebeckstraße 1, 10623 Berlin; free of charge.
- Thurs, 11/17 + Thurs, 12/8/2022, 6:00pm - 9:00pm:
online workshop for adults; free of charge.
- EN: Thu/Thu, 17.11.2022, 7:15 - 8:00 p.m.
Lecture Performance "Der Stoff der Modernism" (Fabrics in Revolt); free of charge;
location: the temporary bauhaus-archiv, Knesebeckstrasse 1, 10623 Berlin
Architecture in film
- Thu, 17.11.2022, 20:00:
"Schocken - Ein deutsches Leben", a film by Noemi Schory; Partner*innen: Architektenkammer Berlin and KLICK Kino;
Location: Klick Kino, Windscheidstr. 19, 10627 Berlin; Duration: 2 h; Costs and information: ak-berlin.de/kino
Malzfabrik Monument (Tours & Workshops)
Location: Malzfabrik, Bessemerstraße 2-14, 12103 Berlin; workshops for students with development of guided tours/audio walks, models and presentations; partners: Bildungsverein Bautechnik e.V., in cooperation with BAUWERKstatt. Middle school students (12-16 years) develop a tour through the Malzfabrik in Berlin-Schöneberg and deal with the building and industrial history of the monument.
- CANCELLED: Fri, 25.11.2022, 14:00: Presentation; Location: Malzfabrik, Bessemerstraße 2-14, 12103 Berlin
KonTexte the Modernism (podcast series/installation)
Video series "Functionalism in Talk" on the genesis of functionalism as well as workshop project and installation "Modern Pandemic Hu(wo)man". Partner*in/Location : BHROX bauhaus-reuse, Mittelinsel Ernst-Reuter-Platz
- Video series: Broadcast dates at www.bauhaus-reuse.de
- 17.12.-31.12.2022: Workshop project and installation
Symposia and discussions
Time travel into the micro worlds of the Modernism
The three events of the Kunstbibliothek not only offer a journey through time on the traces of spatial reductionism in Berlin, they also offer a discovery tour of rarely shown holdings of the architecture collection. Partner: Art Library, National Museums in Berlin, Location: Art Library at the Kulturforum
- Sat, 10/1/2022, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.:
David Gilly and the Art of Building around 1800
- Thu, 6.10.2022, 18:00 - 20:00: Living on the Move
- Thu, 13.10.2022, 18:00 - 20:00: Minimalization of living spaces, micro houses, Hans Junecke, Gerhard Siegmann (cooking box instead of kitchen).
Scientific Colloquium "OST WEST OST" -
Karl-Marx-Allee and Interbau 1957. Architecture and Urbanism of Berlin's Postwar Modernism
The one-and-a-half-day colloquium accompanies the Berlin proposal to inscribe buildings along Karl-Marx-Allee together with buildings from the 1957 IBA as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Partners: Hermann Henselmann Foundation, Berlin State Monuments Office, Academy of Arts
- Tue, 25.10.2022, 19:00 - 22:00: Free Opening of the colloquium: Kino International, Karl-Marx-Allee 33, 10178 Berlin
- Wed, 26.10.2022, 9:30 - 19:00: Second day: colloquium, Location: Akademie der Künste am Hanseatenweg: Cost conference: 6 €, reduced 4 €.
More info: Berlin EAST-WEST-EAST
Eastern Europe Modernism
Conference and book presentation on the influence of Jewish architects from Eastern European countries on the reform movements of the early 20th century; partners: Society for Research on the Life and Work of German-speaking Jewish Architects, in cooperation with Pilecki-Institut Berlin, TU Berlin and BHROX bauhaus-reuse.
- Sun, 13.11.2022, 18:00 - 19:30: Location: BHROX bauhaus reuse, Ernst-Reuter-Platz; free of charge; registration: email@example.com; max. 65 persons
Modernism Complex - Complex housing construction from social to climate-neutral
The question of how innovative concepts of modern housing construction can meet both the demands of climate neutrality and the requirements of social housing will be discussed. Partner: Kompetenzzentrum Großsiedlungen e.V. (COC);
- Fri, 4.11.2022, 14:00 - 17:30: Symposium; Location: Stadtwerkstatt, Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 11, 10178 Berlin
Architecture Global Modern
Book presentation "Architectural Exports of the GDR" and symposium "China - Nodes of Modernism". Partners: Hermann Henselmann Foundation, BHROX bauhaus reuse; Location: BHROX bauhaus reuse, Ernst-Reuter-Platz, 10587 Berlin.
- Fri, 25.11.2022, 18:00 - 20:30: Book presentation "Architekturexport der DDR. From Zanzibar to Halensee".
- Sat, 11/26/2022, 10:00 am - 7:30 pm: Symposium "China - Nodes of Modernism. Place of exile of the 1930/40s and German-Chinese architectural relations of the post-war period".
All data without guarantee. Subject to change without notice. Missing information will be added continuously.
Contact and festival headquarters
BHROX bauhaus reuse
Mittelinsel Ernst-Reuter-Platz, 10587 Berlin - Public transport: U2 "Ernst-Reuter-Platz"
Opening hours: Sun Oct 2 - Thu Dec 15, 2022, Tue - Sun 10:00 - 18:00
Partner*in: zukunftsgeraeusche GbR
- Various exhibitions on Modernism in Ukraine and Central Europe,
For more information, see also current program notes at www.bauhaus-reuse.de (DE/EN).
Information station Hufeisensiedlung
Fritz-Reuter-Allee 44, 12359 Berlin-Britz - Public transport: U7 "Blaschkoallee" or "Parchimer Allee"
Opening hours: Sat 1.10. - Mon 3.10., 10:00 - 16:00; otherwise always Fri + Sun 14:00-17:00
Partner*in: Freunde und Förderer der Hufeisensiedlung Berlin-Britz e.V.; permanent exhibition with information boards (DE/EN) on the history and present in the Hufeisensiedlung as well as the other five UNESCO World Heritage listed "Estates of the Berlin Modernism "(DE/EN)
- Guided tours:expected Sat / Sun / Mon, Oct 1-3, 2022, 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. each.